Thursday, January 22, 2015

First Things First



Probably the hardest part of this journey was taking the first step.  Last week at church our pastor said this "The first step to a new life is the last step in the old one."  Wow - I've never thought of it that way.  For me the first step was being honest with myself and it was tough.  Sometimes the truth hurts!

I am a master excuse maker and professional procrastinator.  And I can do them both well - together.  More than once I've told myself this "Oh it can wait - I work better under pressure any way."  Pretty masterful huh!

Well when it came to my weight I was an expert excuse maker.
*I just can't focus on that right now - there are more important things I need to focus on
*It's only a small brownie
*This is just the way God made me (Sorry Lord - please forgive me for using YOU as an excuse)
*I can't exercise - I'm too big
*I'm just too tired to (exercise, cook a healthy meal, go to the grocery store, or anything else I didn't really want to do)
*It's a special day
*Food is how we fellowship and spend time with friends
*It is selfish to focus time and money on me instead of my family

Oh I could go on and on and on and on and on!  I knew this had to stop if I was going to move forward.  I had to start being honest with myself first.  I had to stop making excuses and either do it or  don't.  But I had to make that decision with honesty.

I could read this everyday to remind myself of the truth!


I made myself 293.2 pounds.  I made myself lazy and out of shape.  I was responsible for the me that I had become so uncomfortable with.  And I was the only person that could change it.

First things first, have a heart to heart conversation with yourself.  What do you want to change in your life?  How did you get there?  How can you change?

No comments:

Post a Comment